A low carb and low calorie version of the steakhouse classic — this Keto Blooming Onion is a guilt-free indulgence! It’s Paleo and gluten free too!
- 1 onion extra large
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel away the outer layer of the onion. Cut about a half inch off the top. Cut onion from the top down into eight equal sections, stopping about an inch from the base to keep the onion attached in one piece.
- Gently spread apart the onion "petals" to give the appearance of a blooming onion.
- In a mixing bowl add salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, paprika and coconut flour. Whisk together with a fork.
- Beat the raw eggs in a mixing bowl. Place onion in bowl and roll to coat completely in egg. Use a spoon to pour egg between the onion sections, so that the entire surface is covered.
- Place onion in bowl with seasoned flour mixture and roll to coat. Place onion on a prepared baking sheet and continue sprinkling mixture until all parts of the onion are covered.
- Brush olive oil to the top and outer petals.
- Wrap onion with foil and bake for 30 minutes covered. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- For an extra crispy blooming onion, broil for 3-5 minutes, watching closely.